How to Make Marinara – SCULPT Vlog #7
August 3, 2022
SCULPT Vlog #7
We’re back with another recipe from our three-part tomato series. In this final vlog episode, our partners at Life University show us how to prepare a delicious, homemade marinara sauce! Marinara is a pantry staple that freezes well and keeps kids happy and fed!
Roasted Tomato Marinara Sauce
- 6 medium sized fresh beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of vegetable stock or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil
- 1/2 tablespoon of fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut the tomatoes into halves and place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Crush the tomatoes well using hands or you can pulse in the food processor. It is ok for some tomato skins to stay on.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the onions until translucent – about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook another minute.
- Chop all the herbs together. Pour the wine and stock into the onion mixture, still well and add the spices. Cook over medium heat until the liquid has cooked down to about half.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, making sure that any big chunks are chopped up.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to blend well.
- Simmer over a low heat for about 2 hours. Serve with pasta or use in any dish that asks for tomato sauce. You can refrigerate for up to 7 days or freeze for up to 3 months in airtight container.
Recipe from: https://thegardeningcook.com/home-made-marinara-sauce.