“What I wish I had known…” is this year’s theme for Mental Illness Awareness Week. Each year during the first week of October, organizations from across the country come together to raise awareness about mental illness.
Mental illness affects everyone, either directly or indirectly through family, friends, and co-workers. There are also misperceptions and stigmas around mental illness. Through our blogs and vlogs, Warrick Dunn Charities, Inc. provides valuable information to help address these stigmas and misperceptions and seeks to break down any barriers individuals might experience in trying to access resources within the community.
In today’s blog, we’ve compiled the various blogs and vlogs that can provide valuable information to help you or someone you love. We hope this is helpful and would love to hear from you on topics you might be interested in learning more about in future blog or vlog content, please drop us a note in the comments.
Seeking Mental Health Services:
- Seeking a Mental Health Professional – Learn more about when it might be time to seek a mental health professional and what steps you can take to find the right therapist for you.
- The Challenges of Accessing Mental Health Therapy in the Black Community – In this article, Dr. Halcyon Francis highlights some of the barriers to mental health access experienced by marginalized communities.
- Tips for Accessing Mental Health Therapy in Communities of Color – Dr. Halcyon Francis shares helpful tips on how to address some of the challenges in accessing mental health therapy in communities of color.
- What to Look for in a Culturally Supportive Therapist – Are you looking for a culturally supportive therapist? Here are some key things to keep in mind to help you find the right one for you.
Understanding Mental Illness
- Understanding Mental Health – Q&A With Dr. Vonetta Dotson – Struggling with emotional wellness is something that we have all have experienced at one time or another. Learn more about mental health, symptoms to be aware of, and available treatment options in this SCULPT vlog.
Managing Emotions and Coping Strategies:
- Managing Stress and Anxiety – We define what anxiety is, explain the difference between anxiety and stress, and discuss coping skills and ways to locate resources and support.
- Managing Feelings of Inadequacy – How do we conquer that nagging feeling of inadequacy and regaining autonomy over our own destinies? Here are some ideas.
- The Benefits of Adding Mindfulness to Your Self-Care Routine – Mindfulness is a valuable self-care strategy that can be adopted with daily practice. Here’s how to practice it and what it helps with.
- Self-Care with Intention – Monica Akerele, MSW, LMSW shares are a few self-care ideas that you can consider adding to your self-care toolbox!
- Emotional Wellness During the Pandemic – The pandemic has taken an enormous psychological toll on the world. Here’s how emotional wellness can be achieved during the pandemic.
- Dealing with Isolation During a Pandemic – Dealing with isolation due to the pandemic is not the easiest thing to do. Here are some great ways to handle it.
- The Emotional Impact of the Pandemic on Children and Helping Parents Provide Support – Learn about how parents can provide support for children who are experiencing lingering pain from the pandemic.